After you’ve hit the gym and gotten in a really good workout, you probably feel great. Like you’re on top of the world. The endorphins are flowing and you feel energized. But there’s a small thought in the back of your head – this is going to hurt in the morning. You get out your foam roller and go to town, but it only does so much. You still feel sore the next morning.
Instead of always needing to default to over-the-counter pain medications, why not try some natural pain relief? Essential oils and other natural products are a great way to help ease muscle soreness and stiffness. Here are a few of our favorites and how to use them:
These are a game-changer when it comes to muscle pain and soreness, and because their properties are so concentrated, you don’t need much product to make a difference. Here is a simple recipe to make an all-natural muscle salve that you can rub into any sore muscle for pain relief:
- Measure out the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax and melt them on low heat.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the menthol crystals until they’re dissolved. Be sure to keep your face away from the mixture so you don’t irritate your eyes or nose.
- Once the crystals are dissolved, mix in the almond oil, followed by the essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a container that has a tight lid, but allow the mixture to cool before putting the lid on.
- Store in your refrigerator to maintain texture and shelf life.
Lavender is known and loved for its calming and relaxing properties and it can do the same for your muscles as it does your mind. One effective way of using lavender specifically for sore muscles is to add the essential oil to a carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil and use it as a massage oil. Working the oil deep into your muscles allows those effects to really get where it’s most needed.
Peppermint contains menthol, which brings a much-needed cooling effect when you’re sore. It’s also anti-inflammatory. If you have access to a steam room, bring our Mint-Infused Pure Eucalyptus ShowerMist along with you to get both the benefits of Peppermint and the steam room (read this blog post to read more about the benefits of steam rooms). Simply spritz a few sprays of the ShowerMist away from your face and breathe in and feel the benefits.
What are some natural ways that you deal with muscle pain?
Please share below in the comments!