Simmer pots are a super simple way to scent your home without the chemicals of sprays and store bought fragrances. They also make great gifts! Maybe you like burning seasonal scented candles, but haven’t tried any natural scents. Or maybe you would like to have a more natural alternative for adding scents to your home. Whatever your preference there couldn’t be anything more quick and easy than homemade aroma recipes that you can simmer on your stove with common ingredients from your kitchen.
Combine your ingredients in a mason jar-you can use whatever quantities you have on hand. I promise it will still make your home smell fantastic!
Here is a list of the type of herbs, spices and fruits you will want to look for:
- Fruit peelings: orange, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit or apple
- Herbs: lavender, peppermint, sage, thyme, etc.
- Extracts : vanilla, almond, orange, and lemon, etc
- Spices : cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, etc
- Fill a saucepan ¾ full with water along with your desired combination of peelings, spices, herbs and extracts. Bring mixture to a boil. As soon as it reaches the boiling point, reduce heat to low and simmer. You can also use a small slow cooker to do this. If using a slow cooker, just set heat to high and then turn down. Replenish with more water as needed.
- You can reuse your mixture 1-2 times, depending on the ingredients you put in your mix. Just store in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator. The mixture will keep for a few days.
- As you cook stovetop scents you will notice that the ingredients don’t stay pretty looking. You can always refresh your mixture with some new orange or lemon slices to float on the top.
Have fun trying your own combinations of fruit peelings, herbs and spices, and use what you have on hand. You will love how nice and cozy your home smells!
Here are two recipes to choose from:
Cinnamon Apple Spice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon whole cloves
lemon peel orange peel
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp whole cloves
Sweet Orange Ginger
Orange peels or slices
1 cinnamon stick
Fresh grated or powdered Ginger
2-3 drops of almond extract
We hope you are inspired by this festive activity. Of course, we at Eurospa always think some natural healing scents are good for the home and health. That’s why we specialize in only the finest eucalyptus oil products for both home and commercial use! This holiday season, enjoy these delicious simmer pot recipes and stop grab a healing and rejuvenating stocking stuffer along the way! Tis the season!