The temperature has been rising steadily, and it’s easy to forget to care for our skin. Since your skin is the biggest organ on your body and the one that gives your age away, it’s wise to protect it. So we are going to share some easy tips to avoiding skin damage if it does get burned and how to avoid the burn altogether.
5 Tips to Protect Yourself From Skin Damage and Burns
- Take good care of your skin: Spray the burn with diluted lavender oil. Just mix a few drops to a cup of water and pour into a clean spray bottle. Shake well before using. Or, grab our Lavender-Infused Pure Eucalyptus Oil Shower Mist. Both lavender and eucalyptus are great for mild (first-degree) burns.
- Treat often: Repeat the above tips as often as needed. Also, shower before you go to bed and once you get up in the morning. It will not only feel soothing, but it will steal the heat from the skin, speeding up the healing process. Spray more before you go to bed to allow the oils to penetrate your skin overnight.
- Stay hydrated: Try to moisturize as often as possible each day after you get sunburnt and drink plenty of water. Drink A LOT of water. I can’t stress it enough. Sunburns dry out the skin immensely. Staying hydrated inside and out will keep your skin layers from drying and peeling. No one wants peely skin. We want supple, moist and glowing skin.
- Become a shade dweller: As long as you have that burn, stay in the shade. You will only prolong and aggravate the healing process by exposing your skin to more sun. So stay cool, covered, and moisturized.
- Wear loose clothing: After a sunburn, your skin is particularly sensitive, and the nicest thing you can do for it is to wear loose fitting natural fabrics. Just say no to poly blends. Cotton and hemp fabrics are breathable and soft on the damaged skin. If you want to heal fast, you’ve got to treat your skin as gently as possible.
Skip Skin Damage
To keep that youthful glow, stay hydrated, moisturize often, and regularly use the essential oil routine. These daily practices will keep your skin nourished and protected from further harm.